Friday, November 7, 2008

Why I Love Children's Ministry . . .




God must have hand-picked this job for me.


Really.
I could not ask for a better way to spend the next season of my life. If someone had told me a year ago that I would be the Children's Ministry Associate Director at Quest Church, I wouldn't have believed it. A year ago I was looking for psychology internships at Children's Hospital. I had never before taught a Sunday school class for elementary kids. Now, I can't think of a better way to spend my time than serving families and creatively showing kids God's love.

My favorite part about my job is the fact that kids are filled with so much energy, curiosity and joy. It doesn't take much to get a smile out of even the saddest little one who misses their parents. Kids' energy and enthusiasm for life is infectious. I can't help but throw my arms open wide and praise God for their smiles and laughter.

This week, I've been thinking back on my summer internship with the Children's Ministry. I'd love to share with you one memory that I will never forget. . .


At the beginning of the summer, I discovered that part of my Children's Ministry internship meant I was the assumed worship leader on Sunday mornings. This came as a shock at first. Once it became a realization, it made me shake in my little boots. Did I mention that I have ZERO musical talent? I can't sing or play an instrument to save my life. Just ask Tim, he didn't believe me at first. But he does now. It only took one solo appearance to convince him. I confessed that I usually just mouth the words. Basically, he said that would be alright as long as I knew all of them.


You think I'm kidding don't you?


Apparently, musical talent is one of those prerequisites for Children's Ministry Leaders. A prerequisite that interns, in the absence of a Children's Director, are roped into as well. However, there was HOPE for me. I make one darn good karaoke singer. You would have laughed if you had seen me. The kids sure did! But that's alright with me. In fact, it kinda made me feel good.
I love to make kids laugh.
Anything that encourages them to worship their creator with every fiber of their being, including their funny bone,
well . . . sign me up!


There's always hope.
Laughing children can attest.

Father, thank you for giving me the chance to care for your children. What a blessing it has been.




2 comments:

Sam Jurekovic said...

I'm so happy for you that you have such an incredible job...I know how much you love it. Keep up the good work.

jHong said...

your passion for those kids is infectious. you have been doing an incredible job and i know that the staff and every child and parent is blessed to have you serving us. you're wonderful!!!